The World Cup is gradually ending and for us FIFA fantasy managers, it is getting a little more interesting. We are at the semi final stage, and that means that the number of teams that we can pick fantasy assets from, has reduced.
Since the number of fantasy assets have reduced, it could be hard for us fantasy managers to select fantasy assets that would give FIFA fantasy points this matchday. In order to help with that, we’ve decided to put together this article.
In this article, we’d be creating three semi-final world cup fantasy teams. In each draft we make, we’d be using three different strategies.
In the first one, we’d be going big at the back, in the second, we’d be investing heavily in our midfield, while in the third one, we’d be going all in on forwards.
Some important things to keep in mind as you wildcard in matchday six
As you create your semi-final wildcard team, here are couple of things you should keep in mind:
- You want to target players that are starters and not rotation risk
- You want to target players that play on different days, it won’t be the best of ideas to target players that play in just one day
- When making transfers and buying players, it’s really important for you to select players from teams that you think would go far in the tournament.
- Another thing worth keeping in mind, is when selecting your players, you want to start players that play early first and then bench the players that play later.
- Another really important thing is that you should always be on guard and be ready to make substitutions if your first team players don’t perform well.
The best teams to target for your MD5 wildcard
Here are some of the best teams you can target as you play your matchday five wildcard:
Well, we think that when creating your wildcard team this matchday, it is important for you to try and target players from all the teams remaining in the competition. It’s important to target the most in-form players from each country.
Targeting and having a decent amount of players from all the countries left, would allow you to have a decent team next matchday and it’d also reduce the amount of minus you’d collect when selecting your team in matchday 7.
In order to help you identify these players, we’ve put together another article that we think would be useful to FIFA fantasy managers this matchday, feel free to check it out: FIFA World Cup fantasy MD6 tips: the best player picks, 12th man, captain picks.
1. Semi-final world cup fantasy wildcard team: Going big at the back
Well, this strategy of going big at the back, could work this matchday and that’s because we expect teams to play with a little more caution, and so defensively they’d be much more solid.
That’s why we’ve tried to select defenders, both full-backs and center backs that we think would get clean sheet points and also defenders that have the potential of getting either a goal or an assist.
We would have gone for Argentina full-backs, but the problem is that the one that was on our radar, Acuna, has been suspended. Here’s a list of the players that’d be missing semis because of suspension.
- Argentina – Marcos Acuna
- Argentina – Gonzalo Montiel
- Morocco – Walid Cheddira
It’d be nice to avoid these players when selecting your matchday six FIFA fantasy team. The big at the back strategy could work this matchday and so we recommend that you give it a shot.
2. Semi-final world cup fantasy wildcard team: Investing in midfielders
This is our second MD6 team. In this one, we’re going in on midfielders and so we’ve decided to get in a couple of midfielders that we think have the potential to get a couple of attacking returns.
In this one you can see that we have a midfield four of Modric, Mac Allister, Ziyech and Perisic. Out of all the midfield options we have avaliable in the game, these are the best.
Some of the players selected have not delivered fantasy points consistently, so going with this strategy, might not be the best option this matchday.
Investing in defenders and forwards might be the best way to go in matchday six.
3. Semi-final world cup fantasy wildcard team: Going all in on forwards
This is our final MD6 team. Well, in this one you can see that we’re targeting forwards and we’ve also tried to get players from all the teams that are still in the competition.
It’s no secret that forwards have been the best FIFA fantasy assets in the World Cup and if we all had the chance, we’d all gladly pick more than three forwards.
Since we can’t do that, we’ve decided to pick the three most in-form forwards in the game. Mbappe, Messi and Giroud are the best forwards in the game and having a forward line of these three, would be great this matchday.
Going with these forwards, also means that you’d have pretty decent captain options as well. You could captain Messi first, and if he doesn’t perform as well as you want, then you could switch over to Giroud or Mbappe.
If we had to recommend the best strategy for this matchday, then this one and the first one would be up there. In fact, there really isn’t that much difference between this one and the first team.
The only difference is that we’ve tried to pick different players. We’ve done this to help you know the various options you can go with this matchday.
We hope these wildcard teams, can serve as inspiration and as a guide for fantasy managers out there.
They might not be the perfect teams, but we’re convinced that you can create a team better than the ones we’ve created, if you can take bits from each draft and put it into one.
Players being targeted in our quarter final wildcard draft teams
Here are the players we’ve targeted in our various semi-final wildcard teams:
Defenders to target for your semi-final wildcard:
- SOSA DEFENDER | CROATIA | $3.5M
- HAKIMI DEFENDER | MOROCCO | $5M
- JURANOVIC DEFENDER | CROATIA | $5M
- HERNANDEZ DEFENDER | FRANCE | $5M
- OTAMENDI DEFENDER | ARGENTINA | $5M
- TAGLIAFICO DEFENDER | ARGENTINA | $5.5M
- KOUNDE DEFENDER | FRANCE | $6M
Midfielders to target for your semi-final wildcard:
- ZIYECH MIDFIELDER | MOROCCO | $7M
- MODRIC MIDFIELDER | CROATIA | $8.5M
- FERNANDEZ MIDFIELDER | ARGENTINA | $6M
- DI MARIA MIDFIELDER | ARGENTINA | $8.5M
- KOVACIC MIDFIELDER | CROATIA | $6.5M
- TCHOUAMENI MIDFIELDER | FRANCE | $6.5M
- PERISIC MIDFIELDER | CROATIA | $7.5M
- MAC ALLISTER MIDFIELDER | ARGENTINA | $7M
Forwards to target for your semi-final wildcard:
- MBAPPE FORWARD | FRANCE | $11.5M
- MESSI FORWARD | ARGENTINA | $10.5M
- GIROUD FORWARD | FRANCE | $7.5M
- ALVAREZ FORWARD | ARGENTINA | $6.5M
- GRIEZMANN FORWARD | FRANCE | $8.5M
Redeyedrae, is an FPL content writer with years of experience in playing and writing about FPL. He has written for major FPL blogs like ALLABOUTFPL, Fantasytipsters, FF Titans, and nevermanagealone. With his deep knowledge of the game, he has become a trusted source for FPL fans worldwide. His content is well-researched and always up-to-date. He’s passionate about helping FPL managers gain an edge in their leagues by sharing insights and analysis about everything fantasy football on raensports.