The round of 16 is here and it promises to be an exciting round of games. As FIFA fantasy managers, we have an important job and that job is to pick a team of 15 players that’d return fantasy points.
That’s exactly what we’re going to be doing in this article, we’d be creating several wildcard teams for the world cup round of 16 games.
In each wildcard draft, we’d be deploying different strategies, in the first one we’d be investing in defenders, in another one we’d go all in on midfielders and in the last one, we’d go on to buy premium forwards.
It’s going to be an interesting article and we hope it can serve as inspiration and also help you as you go on to create your round of 16 World Cup fantasy team.
Some important things to keep in mind as you wildcard in matchday four
As you create your round of 16 wildcard team here are couple of things you should keep in mind:
- You want to target players that are starters and not rotation risk
- You want to target teams with easy fixtures and teams that have something to play for
- You also want to target players that play on different days, it won’t be the best of ideas to target players that play in just one day
- Since this is the final free wildcard that is going to be made available to fantasy managers, it’s really important for you to select players from teams that you think would go far in the tournament.
The best teams to target for your MD3 wildcard
Here are some of the best teams you can target as you play your matchday four wildcard:
So far, we think the teams listed above are the teams with pretty decent fixtures and so they’d most definitely go far in the tournament. It’s really hard to predict, but based on fixtures, we think these teams would do well.
1. Round of 16 world cup fantasy wildcard team: Going big at the back
This is our first World Cup round of 16 team, in this one we’ve decided to go all in on defenders. In the team you can see that we’ve got a decent amount of premium defenders that have good fixtures.
We’ve tried to get in players from France, England, Argentina and the Netherlands. This isn’t a bad strategy or a bad team in fact, it is a pretty balanced team.
In this team, we have good enough players playing in every area of the pitch and our bench is also really solid. This means that you can rely on your bench if the starting players don’t perform well.
One thing to note however, is the fact that we don’t have Mbappe and that could be a little risky as he is playing Poland and would make a great captain this week.
Other than that, it’s a pretty decent team and one that we’d be backing to do well this week. If you really want to get Mbappe into this team, then you can take out Martinez the goal keeper, and bring in Noppert and then upgrade Giroud to Mbappe.
2. Round of 16 world cup fantasy wildcard team: Going all in on midfielders
This is our second wildcard team for this round of games. In this one, we’ve tried to select and go all in on midfielders. We’ve got five pretty good midfielders that are on form.
We’ve decided to also select some new midfielders that were not picked in the first draft above. In this one, we’ve added Olmo, Di maria and Pulisic.
They are all decent picks, but we do think that Ziyech is a good pick and if you can find a way to get him in, then go for it. It’s a decent team and it has got an okay bench.
However, in terms of balance, we do think that the first team is a lot better, as there are more first team players who have the potential of returning fantasy points, in the first eleven and on the bench.
If you also want to see more midfielder picks, then feel free to check our: Best midfielder player picks for World Cup fantasy round of 16.
3. Round of 16 world cup fantasy wildcard team: Going all in on forwards
This is our final round of 16 world Cup fantasy wildcard draft. In this one, we’ve decided to go all in on forwards and that’s why we’ve targeted the best and the most in-form forwards in the game.
We’ve got a forward line of Leo Messi, Mbappe and Gakpo and if we’re being honest it is hard to pick a better forward line. Doing this also means that we have to get in a couple of really good budget players.
That’s why we have Sosa, Gvardiol and Mac Allister. Mac Allister is a really good pick and we talked about him and ranked him in our midfielder picks article, so feel free to check it out.
Other than that it’s a pretty solid team and honestly you won’t be looking at the bench too much in this one, as the starting players are the ones we’d be hoping to give us the most points.
In terms of balance, it is alright and it’s one of our favorite drafts for this gameweek.
Players being targeted in our round of 16 wildcard draft teams
Here are the players we’ve targeted in our various round of 16 wildcard teams:
Defenders to target for your round of 16 wildcard:
- SOSA DEFENDER | CROATIA | $3.5M
- GVARDIOL DEFENDER | CROATIA | $4M
- SHAW DEFENDER | ENGLAND | $5M
- HAKIMI DEFENDER | MOROCCO | $5M
- DUMFRIES DEFENDER | NETHERLANDS | $6M
- OTAMENDI DEFENDER | ARGENTINA | $5M
- HERNANDEZ DEFENDER | FRANCE | $5M
Midfielders to target for your round of 16 wildcard:
- FERNANDES MIDFIELDER | PORTUGAL | $9.5M
- MAC ALLISTER MIDFIELDER | ARGENTINA | $7M
- ZIYECH MIDFIELDER | MOROCCO | $7M
- PULISIC MIDFIELDER | USA | $7.5M
- SAKA MIDFIELDER | ENGLAND | $8M
- OLMO MIDFIELDER | SPAIN | $8M
- DI MARIA MIDFIELDER | ARGENTINA | $8.5M
Forwards to target for your round of 16 wildcard:
- MBAPPE FORWARD | FRANCE | $11.5M
- MESSI FORWARD | ARGENTINA | $10.5M
- GAKPO FORWARD | NETHERLANDS | $7M
- GIROUD FORWARD | FRANCE | $7.5M