With matchday three just a couple of hours away, we’ve decided to create a couple of really good matchday three wildcard teams, that would help World Cup fantasy managers navigate through this matchday.
We know that it’s the last matchday of the World Cup group stage, which means that some teams have already qualified to the next round while others, still have so much to play for.
As we create our various matchday three wildcard drafts, we’d be looking to target players from teams that still have so much to play for.
In this article, we’d be creating three different wildcard teams and in each World Cup fantasy wildcard draft, we’d be using different strategies and they are:
- Going big at the back
- Investing in midfielders and lastly,
- Going all in on attackers.
Some important things to keep in mind as you wildcard in matchday three
If your World Cup strategy involves you wildcarding in matchday three, here are couple of things you should keep in mind:
- You want to target players that are starters and not rotation risk
- You want to target teams with easy fixtures and teams that have something to play for
- You also want to target players that play on different days, it won’t be the best of ideas to target players that play in just one day
- Lastly, the wildcard chip this matchday is almost like a free hit, so you don’t have to keep the long term in mind, as another wildcard would be provided in the next round.
You can use this fixture ticker created by @UCL_Beercules to help you as you create your matchday 3 wildcard team:
The best teams to target for your MD3 wildcard
Here are some of the best teams you can target as you play your matchday three wildcard:
These ten teams have pretty good fixtures and have something still to play for, except for France and Portugal. As you read on, you’d see what assets we’re targeting for our various wildcard teams.
1. Matchday three world cup fantasy wildcard team: Going big at the back
Here’s our first wildcard team for matchday three. In this wildcard draft, we’ve decided to go all in on defenders and this time we’ve not targeted the most expensive, rather we’ve gone for defenders that have good fixtures and have something to play for.
Doing this or going with this strategy, would allow you to spend and spread your budget across your team. In this wildcard draft, we’ve gone for a pretty balanced approach and that’s why we have just one premium in our team.
If you’re going to be using this strategy, then you’d need to be proactive. You’d need to constantly keep an eye on the performances of your players, so you’d would know what subs to make.
We’ve tried to select the most in-forms players, who have good fixtures and something to play for. We’ve decided to stay away from Portugal and France assets cause they could be rotation risks.
You can find out what other World Cup fantasy defenders would be great defender picks, in this article below:
2. Matchday three world cup fantasy wildcard team: Going all in on midfielders
This is our second wildcard team. In this one we’ve decided to go all in on midfielders. As you can see, we’ve tried to select the best midfielders who are on form and also have pretty decent fixtures.
One thing that you should note however in this draft is that we’ve selected Mbappe and Bruno Fernandes and that could be risky if the pair don’t play in matchday three.
And because we’ve selected these players, our bench isn’t as strong as the wildcard team that we have above. This is exactly what you as a World Cup fantasy manager should avoid.
You don’t want to have two players that are rotation risk in your team, without any cover on the bench. Since the bench isn’t that strong, you could struggle.
This means that our bench could be very key this matchday and so whatever wildcard team you go with, you want to try and have a solid bench that’s filled up with starters.
If you want to see more midfielders you can target for your matchday two wildcard team, then check out our: best players for 2022 FIFA World cup fantasy -midfielder picks
3. Matchday three world cup fantasy wildcard team: Going all in on forwards
The last and final team that we would be creating is this one. In this MD3 wildcard draft, we’ve decided to go in on forwards. Again, we’re not targeting premium forwards, rather we’re looking to get in-form players with good fixtures.
The forward pair-up we’ve gone with here is, Kane, Messi and Sarr. Three forwards who have been decent and could do some damage in matchday three.
If you want to see some more forward player picks for matchday three, then check out our: Best forward player picks for World Cup fantasy matchday 3.
In that article we took a look at some of the best forwards that you could target this matchday, whether you’re wildcarding or using your free transfer.
In the “going all in on forwards wildcard team”, we’ve tried to select a team that has a pretty good bench – on our bench we have players that are starters and are also on form.
Players being targeted in out matchday three wildcard draft teams
Here are the players we’ve targeted in our various matchday three wildcard teams:
Defenders to target for your matchday two wildcard:
- SHAW DEFENDER | ENGLAND | $5M
- RUDIGER DEFENDER | GERMANY | $5.5M
- DUMFRIES DEFENDER | NETHERLANDS | $6M
- MAEHLE DEFENDER | DENMARK | $4.5M
- HAKIMI DEFENDER | MOROCCO | $5M
- ALBA DEFENDER | SPAIN | $6M
- SOSA DEFENDER | CROATIA | $3.5M
- MARTINEZ DEFENDER | ARGENTINA | $6M
- JAKOBS DEFENDER | SENEGAL | $4.5M
Midfielders to target for your matchday two wildcard:
- KUDUS MIDFIELDER | GHANA | $6M
- ZIYECH MIDFIELDER | MOROCCO | $7M
- SAKA MIDFIELDER | ENGLAND | $8M
- OLMO MIDFIELDER | SPAIN | $8M
- SANE MIDFIELDER | GERMANY | $9M
- FERNANDES MIDFIELDER | PORTUGAL | $9.5M
- PULISIC MIDFIELDER | USA | $7.5M
Forwards to target for your matchday two wildcard:
- KANE FORWARD | ENGLAND | $11M
- MESSI FORWARD | ARGENTINA | $10.5M
- SARR FORWARD | SENEGAL | $6.5M
- MBAPPE FORWARD | FRANCE | $11.5M
- GAKPO FORWARD | NETHERLANDS | $7M
- VALENCIA FORWARD | ECUADOR | $6.5M
So there you have it, our matchday three wildcard team. We hope these teams can serve as inspiration and help you out as you create your on wildcard team.
If you want to find out the best world cup fantasy captains for matchday three, then check out our: MD3 captain picks: the best matchday three world cup fantasy captains
You can also check out ALLABOUTFPL’S: Best World Cup Fantasy MD3 Wildcard Drafts With Stats And Notes