With a 100 million budget and less than three weeks to go before the start of the 2023/24 FPL season, It is now time for fantasy premier league players and managers to start selecting their teams. This article will help you pick the best defenders for your FPL team.
This article looks at the best budget, mid-priced and premium fantasy premier league defender picks for the 2023/24 FPL season. So, sit back and enjoy as we walk you through this process.
Table of Contents
Tips for selecting budget defenders in FPL
- Look for defenders who play for teams that keep clean sheets. This is the most important factor in selecting a budget defender. You want to choose players who are likely to get points for clean sheets, as well as the occasional goal or assist.
- Consider the defender’s attacking potential. Some budget defenders are also capable of getting forward and scoring goals. This can be a valuable asset, as it can help you to win bonus points and climb the FPL rankings.
- Avoid defenders who are rotation risks. If a defender is not guaranteed to start every game, it is not worth spending your budget on them. You want to choose players who are nailed on to start, so that you can be sure that they will be getting points for you.
- Look for defenders who are playing in favorable fixtures. The fixture list can have a big impact on how many points a defender scores. If you can, try to choose defenders who are playing against teams that are not expected to score many goals.
- Don’t be afraid to rotate your budget defenders. If you have two or three budget defenders who are all playing in good fixtures, you can rotate them depending on who has the best match-up. This can help you to maximize your points and climb the FPL rankings.
1. The best FPL 4.5 million budget defenders picks 23/24 season
Here are some of the best budget defenders in FPL for the 2023/24 season:
|Sven Botman||Newcastle United||Defender||£4.5m|
|Tyrone Mings||Aston Villa||Defender||£4.5m|
|Nayef Aguerd||West Ham United||Defender||£4.5m|
|Marc Guehi||Crystal Palace||Defender||£4.5m|
|Amari’i Bell||Luton Town||Defender||£4.0m|
|George Baldock||Sheffield United||Defender||£4.0m|
I. FPL 4.5million budget defender – Sven Botman
Sven Botman is a player who has really good potential as a budget defender this season in FPL. He is priced at 4.5 million and is currently owned by 26.7% of FPL managers. There are a few reasons why Botman is sought after by the majority of FPL managers. Some of the reasons are:
- His team’s defensive strengths: This is the most important factor to consider when picking budget defenders. You want to pick defenders who play for teams that are likely to keep clean sheets – Newcastle kept 14 clean sheets last season and had an xGC of 40.1.
- Botman is nailed on: Botman started 35 of 38 games for Newcastle last season. This means at 4.5 million, you’d be getting a guaranteed starter who plays for one of the best defensive sides. It is a steal.
While there are upsides and good things about the inclusion of Botman to your team, there are some downsides and other things you might want to consider. Some of them are:
- Botman is not as attacking as some other budget defenders, so he may not score as many points from goals or assists. Last season, he got just one assist and no goals at all.
- Newcastle United have a tough start to the season, so they may not keep as many clean sheets as expected. Newcastle play Man City, Liverpool and Brighton in three of their first games. It’d be difficult to get clean sheet points from those games.
Overall we do think that Sven Botman is the best budget defender you can get into your FPL team at the moment. He is a player who would start games and a player who would give you clean sheet points. After his first five games, you can put him in your team. Until then, you can rotate him with the next player we have on our list.
II. FPL 4.5million budget defender – Tyrone Mings
Tyrone Mings of Aston Villa is another pretty solid 4.5 million budget defender that you can add to your FPL team. Last season, Mings was amongst the top ten defenders in FPL, ranking exactly 7th and returning a total of 130 FPL points.
This season he’s priced at 4.5 million and he could be a great value for money. Here are some reasons why Tyrone Mings is a great budget defender pick:
- His team’s defensive strengths: Last season, Aston Villa didn’t have the greatest of starts. However, under Unai Emery they looked pretty solid and they managed to keep 12 clean sheets and that’s impressive considering the start they had last season.
- Mings is also pretty nailed on. If you’re looking for a cheap budget 4.5 million FPL defender that’d start a lot of games, then Tyrone Mings is your man. Last season, he started 35 of 38 games for Villa.
- Attacking threat: Compared to the other 4.5 million defenders in FPL, Mings stands out because of his ability to score and get assists. Last season he ended with one goal and three assists.
- Good Fixtures: Mings has also got good opening fixtures. His fixtures have great difficulty ratings(FDR). We do think that Mings and Botman complement each other well. When Botman has a tough fixture, you could use Mings and when Mings has a tough fixture, you could use Botman.
As for downsides, there’s one and it is this:
- Aston Villa now have 4 good options at CB in Konsa, Mings, Torres and Diego Carlos. It may be the case that Mings is nailed but it is far from guaranteed. If he doesn’t play as good, then he could quite easily lose his place.
In conclusion, Mings is another solid budget defender in FPL this season. He has got great fixtures, he has decent attacking threat, he is nailed on and his team a solid defensively. He meets all the criteria for a good budget defender.
Not sure of which midfielders to add to your team? Find out the best mid-priced FPL midfielders for this season in our article, The Best Mid-Priced(6.5-7.5million) FPL Midfielders 23/24
III. FPL 4.5million budget defender – Rico Henry
Next up on our list, is Rico Henry of Brentford. Priced at 4.5 million, Henry is an attacking full-back that you can consider if you’re looking for a budget FPL defender. This pick is one we really like because we’re huge fans of selecting defenders who can give you more than clean sheet points.
That’s why we always try to select full-backs instead of center-backs when selecting defenders for out FPL team. Henry fits the bill perfectly and that’s because he spends good amount of time high up the pitch creating chances that could turn into assists.
Here are some of the reasons why we think Henry is a good budget FPL defender:
- His team’s defensive strengths: Last season, Brentford managed to keep 11 clean sheets and that’s impressive.
- Henry is also pretty nailed on – last season, he started 37 of 38 games for Brentford.
- Attacking threat: Tryone Mings is the only budget defender on our list this season, who has more goal involvement than Henry. Last season Henry ended with three assists.
- Good Fixtures: Brentford and Henry have pretty good fixtures. In four of their first six games this season, they face Fulham, Crystal Palace, Everton, and Bournemouth.
Overall, Henry is a good budget defender pick for FPL managers who are looking for a player who can provide more than just clean sheet points. His attacking threat and good fixtures make him a good option for the early part of the season.
Further Read: Want to know the best mid-priced defenders in FPL this season, then check out our article: The Best 5.0-5.5 million mid-priced FPL Defender Picks 23/24 season
2. The best FPL 4.0 million budget defenders picks 23/24 season
In terms of defenders in the 4.0 million price bracket, there are a few standout picks and they are:
- Bell from Luton Town
- Beyer from Burnley
- Baldock from Sheffield United
IV. Finding Fantasy Value: Bell (LUT) – A Promising 4.0 Million Budget Defender Option for FPL
In Fantasy Premier League (FPL), managers are always on the lookout for budget-friendly players who can deliver solid points and bolster their squad without breaking the bank. One such intriguing prospect for the upcoming season is Bell, the promising defender from Luton Town Football Club (LUT).
Here are some of the reasons why we think Bell could be a solid addition to your FPL team:
- Consistency and Game Time: Bell’s appeal lies in his consistent game time for Luton Town during the previous season. With an impressive 43 starts, he has proven to be a reliable presence in his team’s backline.
- Clean Sheet Potential: Another crucial aspect that FPL managers look for in defenders is their ability to secure clean sheets. Bell has excelled in this area, with an impressive 18 clean sheets to his name during the previous season. It is important to note that it was in the championship, and we don’t expect Luton Town to replicate such clean sheet numbers in the PL this season.
Here are some downsides:
- Potential Summer Setback: It’s important to note that Bell might not be available at the start of the season due to his involvement in the Gold Cup over the summer. This situation poses a slight risk for FPL managers, as they might have to wait for his return to action.
You might also like: The Best Mid-Priced FPL Forwards (7.0 – 8.0million) For GW1 – 23/24
V. Beyer (BUR) – A Secure and Rewarding 4.0 Million Budget Defender Option for FPL
In Fantasy Premier League (FPL), finding hidden gems that provide both security and potential points is essential for any savvy manager. One such valuable find is Beyer, the reliable defender from Burnley Football Club (BUR), available at an enticing 4.0 million price tag.
- Attacking Threat: While defenders are primarily sought after for their defensive capabilities, Beyer has shown his versatility by contributing to his team’s attacking endeavors. His stats of one goal and three assists from last season indicate his potential to garner additional points beyond just clean sheets. In the budget defender category, such attacking returns can be a game-changer, providing FPL managers with valuable bonus points.
- Safest Pick among Budget Defenders: Among other budget options, Beyer stands out as the safest pick. With his consistent game time, defensive reliability, and occasional attacking contributions, he offers a well-rounded package for FPL managers. When considering budget defenders, stability and security are paramount, and Beyer’s track record makes him a player that managers can confidently rely on.
As for downsides, we do think that clean sheets are something that these defenders would not be able to deliver and it’d also be difficult for them to deliver assist and goal scoring points on a regular basis in the PL. So it’d be nice to have these players as bench fodders and not starters.
There are a lot of great midfielders in the 8.0-12.5 million price bracket. Find out which ones would be ideal picks for your FPL team this season: The Best FPL Premium Midfielders 8.0-12.5Million For GW1 – 23/24.
Here are some frequently asked questions about FPL defenders and budget defenders:
- What is the most important factor to consider when selecting a budget defender?
The most important factor to consider when selecting a budget defender is their team’s clean sheet potential. You want to choose players who are likely to get points for clean sheets, as well as the occasional goal or assist.
- What are some other factors to consider when selecting a budget defender?
Other factors to consider when selecting a budget defender include:
- The defender’s attacking potential. Some budget defenders are also capable of getting forward and scoring goals. This can be a valuable asset, as it can help you to win bonus points and climb the FPL rankings.
- The defender’s playing time. If a defender is not guaranteed to start every game, it is not worth spending your budget on them. You want to choose players who are nailed on to start, so that you can be sure that they will be getting points for you.
- The defender’s fixture list. The fixture list can have a big impact on how many points a defender scores. If you can, try to choose defenders who are playing against teams that are not expected to score many goals.
- What are some good budget defenders for the 2023/24 season?
Some good budget defenders for the 2023/24 season include:
- Sven Botman (£4.5m) – Newcastle United
- Tyrone Mings (£4.5m) – Aston Villa
- Nayef Aguerd (£4.5m) – West Ham United
- Ethan Pinnock (£4.5m) – Brentford
- Marc Guehi (£4.5m) – Crystal Palace
- Amari’i Bell (£4.0m) – Luton Town
- Jordan Beyer (£4.0m) – Burnley
- Rico Henry (£4.0m) – Brentford
- George Baldock (£4.0m) – Sheffield United
- James Tarkowski (£4.5m) – Everton
These are just a few of the many budget defenders who could be good options for your FPL team. Do your research and choose the players who you think will score the most points for you.
- How many budget defenders should I have in my FPL team?
The number of budget defenders you should have in your FPL team depends on your budget and your team’s strategy. If you are looking to save money, you could have as many as three or four budget defenders in your team. However, if you are looking to maximize your points, you may want to have fewer budget defenders and invest more in your premium defenders.
- What are some tips for selecting budget defenders in FPL?
Here are some tips for selecting budget defenders in FPL:
- Do your research. Before you select any budget defenders, make sure you do your research and understand their strengths and weaknesses. This will help you to choose the players who are most likely to score points for you.
- Look for value. Don’t just choose the cheapest defenders available. Look for players who are good value for money and who have the potential to score points.
- Be flexible. The FPL landscape is constantly changing, so be prepared to be flexible with your budget defenders. If a player is not performing well, you may need to replace them with someone else.
Redeyedrae, is an FPL content writer with years of experience in playing and writing about FPL. He has written for major FPL blogs like ALLABOUTFPL, Fantasytipsters, FF Titans, and nevermanagealone. With his deep knowledge of the game, he has become a trusted source for FPL fans worldwide. His content is well-researched and always up-to-date. He’s passionate about helping FPL managers gain an edge in their leagues by sharing insights and analysis about everything fantasy football on raensports.